He's getting the permanent AICD/Pacemaker right now. HOPEfully this is his LAST procedure.
PT worked with him this morning and had him do 10 reps each of pointing and flexing his feet, straightening his knees, and picking up each of his legs using his hip muscles. When an orderly came by to clean him up this morning, I requested that he wash Daddy's hair, too, and give him a shave.
Yesterday he ate quite a bit of his meals. The nurse told him that he could have ice cream every day if he wanted, so that's what he's been requesting on his meal sheet. They have root beer flavored ice cream at the place a short walk away, so I'll get him some of that for tonight. Dave & Andy's Homemade Ice Cream is getting quite a bit of my budget.
Daddy mentioned some pain in his left shoulderblade, so I made sure someone investigated. The nurse gave him some tylenol for a 3/10 pain level. As we know he does not speak up much about pain. They are going to x-ray him after he gets done with this morning's procedure. He's been a little sensitive/vulnerable this morning bc of this and has a hard time getting comfortable. It could be the stapled part of his lung or the last drain tube as apparently it goes up quite a ways. He described it a being like "pulling apart a chicken wing". I'm a little concerned because it started this past weekend after the internal bleeding fire drill. He was also confused about getting the permanent pacemaker today because he thought that's what they did last weekend. But really, who can keep up with all of these procedures? Sometime when I want to torment myself, I may try to count them up.
The rest of yesterday was pretty quiet. We're reading New Scientist magazine in between stuff. We also got to call Jenny which made her day. :)
Here are some pictures. I brought some raspberries & put some of them in his ice cream. To get his food tray closer, I rigged it with some counterweights. Then later stacked 4 pillows against the side bed rail to give him some back support. Just puttin' me engineering education to use.
You're being a really GOOD 'Nurse Julie.'
ReplyDeleteLove,
Nurse Jenny
Yes, in your absence I am trying to be less of a wuss and a better Nurse Julie, staying and holding his hand for some things instead of stepping out. The job's yours anytime you want it back, though!
ReplyDelete