It sounds like ST (speech therapy), OT, and PT all do an end of the week evaluation on Saturdays, and then Monday morning when Dr. Merkel does rounds he'll be able to answer aaalllll of my questions. They'll probably culture "the ooze" again before they discharge him. His antibiotic is due to end this Saturday, which is only 4 weeks (not 6 as originally planned). It sounded like a huge pain in the ass to deal with it after discharge when we were planning for June 24th, but I'd just like to know why they decided it was ok to stop it early. They are still changing his dressing 2-3 times a day, and when he stands up to wash up etc it still drips. So, morale is low on resolving this problem that started on ~June 3rd and has not had a cause diagnosed. His arms and legs are still pretty swollen, too.
UMMC emailed me this week wanting their LVAD equipment back, so I brought the rest of Daddy's and we changed it all out. I put all of their equipment in the closet in his room and wrote back listing it all.
Daddy really wanted some more peanut M&M's, so we stopped to get some at what we thought was a grocery store but turned out to be a Wal Mart. (We hate the Wal Mart experience and I buy everything aquirable there on Amazon.) So I texted Daddy these pictures (bc he reminded me about gettinf M&M's, and he wrote back that we must really love him. It was funny. Then he ate an entire "sharing size" package as soon as we got here. Fret not, we got like 5.
Daddy requested some size L t-shirts, which took some looking since I am a unisex M and Jaron wears XL. So I found a TCHS JROTC size L t-shirt and a very worn flannel in that size. I told Daddy on the phone that it had some holes in it, but when he saw it today he said it looked too WT so I'm taking my favorite flannel shirt back home. He was totally not interested in XL. Also, Jenny told me that Daddy had 2 t-shirts and a pair of jeans still in the guest bedroom closet. And I bought him a 7-pack of tighty whities on Amazon (and washed them). So! He's all set clothes-wise.
Jaron took Daddy on a wheelie walk...for the long hallways, the nurse said to use the wheelchair. I even loaned him my super cool sunglasses & asked if we were allowed to take him outside. It turns out that there is a little cafe shop where peanut M&M's are sold! Damn, all this time. Anyway, Jaron took him out for a spin while I caught up with the nurse. Yeah...I'll have a lot of phone calls to make tomorrow now that we have a planned discharge date. To get things coordinated with the Baltimore and Richmond VAs.
Daddy's message to the blogosphere: "This is a nice place."
That means that the staff is more considerate in terms of quiet at night. The food is tastier and he gets it hot (!? Was not aware that he got his food cold before...) Mainly, it's a smaller place/environment for rehab & outpatient rehab, so things are less crazy.
Update: I brought Daddy a dice cup and he wanted everyone to know that he got a full house.




No comments:
Post a Comment