So he's been continuing to prepare for disaster and be self-sufficient accounting for how he really needs electricity now. We've talked about a couple of things on this topic on the phone. His power has gone out a few times and he's got his generator routine all figured out. Well, apparently he called HeartWare (the manufacturer of his LVAD) to ask about buying a spare base station. This charges his batteries. He wanted a spare. They said they can't sell them to individuals. And he said name a price, and they said that the price varies. I said it must be like a sleep apnea machine--it's a medical device and has to be prescribed by a doctor and then your insurance covers it (or not). I suggested that he'd need to ask UMMC to order one and see if the VA would cover it. He goes "But Roger is smarter than that!". I go "oh really!?" He ordered one on Ebay!!! For super cheap. Like brand new (he contacted the seller w/ questions.) We did discuss what likely happened to its previous owner. We both made atrocious guesses about how much they charge insurance. He said he wanted to call HeartWare back and tell them he got one, but didn't. Hahahaha. Mr. Kick Ass is back!!!
He's also been taking on bills and playing fuck-fuck with the VA. Said he told the ER that his daughter TOLD them to bill the DC VA, and that they didn't listen, didn't write down his VA ID#, and that they fucked up by billing Tricare! Argh! I fucking explained all of this to them! Told them to photocopy the VA ID. Anyway, Daddy said he can handle all of this now. I said good! I can't handle it anymore! He can't believe how stupid hospitals & careflight and the VA are to deal with. And they are trying to get him to do their jobs. Fax a copy of the invoice, we'll start over with the correct geographic region. Goddamnit, I fucking TOLD them to bill the DC VA and not the CKB VA. I think I put down my address when I checked him in for this reason. I really don't remember. So he called the medical provider and told THEM to fax a copy of the invoice etc etc etc. Yep. Just the same old VA. It sure is better than nothing, though.
Additionally, we talked about care status and how I was concerned that when his current authorization ran out at the end of the year, he would be on no one's LVAD program. He said that Dr. Huque at the CKB VA, his primary care dr, just wants the whole thing to go away. Put a stop to Richmond bc of continuity-of-care. I suggested that Dr. Huque would take the path of least resistance. Either they have an existing contract with UPMC (PIT), or they'll keep him in-network and send him to Richmond. The only way he is getting a transplant is if he goes to Richmond. We all know that now. He mentioned some concerns about the transplant, like it may never happen and he'd be tethered to the phone. And that the LVAD is not so bad. I said "so the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know?" and he nodded. I told him that no matter what he decided, Jenny & I would support him 100%. He's the one that has to go through it. But I said please don't let this pussy Dr. Huque stop you if you want a transplant. Make him send you to Richmond if that's what you want. He agreed. Jesus Christ, this has been so rough. Roller coaster.



No comments:
Post a Comment